Saturday, December 10, 2011

December Friday Night SewIn Results {Round 1}


Here is the quilt top I worked on this weekend.  The fabrics are Flurry by Kate Spain for Moda.  The solid white and red were fabrics from my stash.  The pattern is by Konda by Moose on the Porch Quilts it was in the Nov/Dec 2011 McCalls Quilting magazine.  This is one of the most complicated designs I've done.  Triangles have given me fits in the past but all in all the top went together very quickly.


Friday night for FNSI I started out with the jelly roll pieces and everything else left to be cut.  Friday night all the pieces were cut and all of the small blocks were pieced together.


Today in between feeding Addie, baking some yummy bread (which will be this coming Thursday"s recipe) and cleaning I pieced the large blocks to make the rows and then added the borders.  Amazingly most of my points matched up perfectly :) - I love this quilt top!

While I was sewing I couldn't help thinking of my Grandma Clark and all the sewing her Bernina (which I now sew on) saw.  In retrospect I am probably a lot like her in many ways when it comes to sewing.  I remember her being so practical when it came to sewing - things like patching and mending, making clothes, a few home good items, etc.  I know she made some really pretty things but when I inherited most of her sewing room I found patterns and ideas for some fun and impractical things that she just never got around to.  Or maybe like me she just liked looking at the beautiful designs.  

I have a lot of fond memories sitting on the floor in grandma's sewing room.  I would play with her scrap pile, make clothes for my dolls and sew up little stuffed animals (mainly kitties). 

There were a lot of practical things on my list that probably should have been worked on this weekend - like sewing the boys some pjs, mending Clark's pants, finishing up the kids' suspenders, etc.  But this pattern was just one of those things I didn't want to put off. 

Now to decide whether I want to quilt it or if I should find a quilter in the area and make an appointment for this piece.

No comments: