Sunday, May 30, 2010

Day 73 - Happy Birthday Party

Sorry all for my absence - no, I did not fall off the face of the earth!  Today we celebrated the boys' birthdays (1 and 3).  We had lots of friends and family and had a wonderful time celebrating with everyone!

This has meant a whirlwind week of cake baking, decorating, cleaning, small home repairs, boys' professional photos, outfit selection, etc.  Needless to say this feels like the first time I have had a moment to sit in days.  But the boys and I had great fun making preparations and we enjoyed sharing our efforts with everyone today.


Above are the boys helping to measure and "mix."  Does this add time to my baking?  Yes, but it's so worth every precious minute.


Clark's 3 year old crayon cake.  This was the first time I had worked with a sponge/roll-up type cake.  I made two types - chocolate with chocolate frosting rolled in the middle and vanilla cake with orange marmalade and orange buttercream rolled in the middle.  They were both tasty.

Grant's 1st birthday cake!  He had a duck which was a vanilla pound cake (made with whole wheat flour).  The duck cake tasted delicious even though I had a few oven problems with it.  Very heavy and dense (like pound cake should be) yet kept it's moistness.  The bottom square cake was a four layer limeade cake with limeade butter cream frosting and raspberry filling.  It was quite delicious.  OK - the balls are bubbles for anyone unsure.  Didn't get the fondant rolled on as pretty as I would have liked but each time I do it I get a little better.  The poor duck was the last cake frosted/decorated and it was so warm in the house I couldn't keep the frosting stiff enough so the duck had some frosting issues.  But it still looked and tasted good and I know my one year old didn't care.  But more practice needed if I want to enter in the decorated cakes contest at the ISF.



Hope everyone has a wonderful Memorial Day Weekend!

No comments: