Friday, June 11, 2010

Day 61 - Spritz

Today we played with Spritz cookies.  Seriously - these cookies are so remarkably like playing with play dough you can't help but have fun.  I enjoy pressing them out anyway.  I have two presses, one newer style one and one I found at an auction that is the very old variety.  Which to use, which to use?  I went with the old tried and true.  It just makes such nice looking little cookies and the guide on it helps me line them up with perfect spacing on the tray.  Someday the boys can have the new model to make cookies with.  The boys enjoyed watching and then of course munching.  Grant's little arm kept pointing to the cookie tray after he tried the first one.  Had to cut them both off at snack time.  Addictive little butter cookies.  Luckily, I have never been a fan of Spritz cookies so other than sampling one to make sure I had the flavor right I left them alone.

I did have some heat issues today.  No matter what I did it was just so hot in the kitchen by the time I was to the last ones they were really spreading out on the pan (even after putting the pan in the freezer for a minute to cool them off).  Of course by the time I was on the last cookies much of the dough was mistake dough that was going through the press a second time so that didn't help any.  But I still had plenty that turned out well enough that I am not ashamed to enter them.

All I have to say is it is a good thing I have friends who are my butter suppliers since this recipe alone took out almost a pound (the recipe was doubled so that didn't help any).  Don't know how I'd survive without their annual butter gift each year!  It's good to know Wisconsin dairy farmers : ) thanks Leigh and Dave!  Of course, I am sure there are some people that would say they're just enabling my habit!

I don't know about any of you but I always think Christmas when it comes to Spritz cookies.  At least my Grandma Clark always made a large batch or two of these at the holidays.  I decided to mix it up a bit and gave these a citrus spin and pressed them in flowers and butterflies with purple sugar on some and others plain.  Once again I managed 2 classes in one day with one recipe!  Sweet (really)!  One for the cookie division and one for the holiday exchange division in the Other than Christmas class.  I think I'll make a tray of spring/Easter type cookies for this exchange tray class (so one type down for that - need at least one other cookie type to put with it).

No comments: