Friday, November 19, 2010

Our New Kids

 Today we went on a little trip over to Marshalltown (general vicinity).  
Our purpose:  to pick up 3 little goats!


Clark and Grant are both very excited to have baby goats.  Two doelings and one buckling.  
They are Nigerian Dwarf goats.


They are adorable!  Even my sister (Aunt Em home for Thanksgiving) thought so.  And for those of you who know my husband (who are thinking the world is ending if he said yes to his wife on the goat issue) - yes, even he thinks they are awfully cute! 

Meet our little buck - Caramel.  
The boys had their choice between two bucklings and they both picked this one!


And our two sweet little doelings - Annabel and Clarabel.


We decided Clark is getting to the age where he can begin taking on some livestock responsibility.  So we wanted to start with something small and tame.  These little goats fit the bill.  I loved the days when I was little helping grandma feed and care for the our dairy calves so can't wait to begin teaching my little guys to care for animals (other than cats and chickens).  Tonight when I told Clark I was going to go lock the chickens in for the night he was determined to go out with me and check on the goats - this makes me smile!

This is a new learning experience for me and my husband as well.  Throughout my life I have raised dairy cattle, beef cattle, sheep, hogs, a horse, turkeys, ducks, geese and chickens - but never goats.  

This should be a fun experience!

1 comment:

Beth said...

You're so lucky! They're adorable! And the baby goats are pretty cute too ;) And yes, we are kinda wondering about the end of the world coming soon. So glad you now have baby goats!