Thursday, November 4, 2010

Test Kitchen Thursday - Caramel Apple Muffins


I don't know what possesses me - this time of year I always break down and buy one of those beautiful magazine cookbooks for the holidays that you see at the checkout lane.  Impulse buys - I know.  However, some of the best recipes I use regularly have come from some of those (that makes it worth it right?).  Quite frankly I blame my mother (she knows what I mean).  You should see her magazine cookbook stash (I love it).

Back to my compulsion - most often (but not always) they are of the Taste of Home persuasion.  I must add I called mom right away after picking up the new 2010 Taste of Home Fall Baking Cookbook and she had it too!  Apple doesn't fall from the tree :)

I decided I had to try the Caramel Apple Muffins.  You can find the recipe on Taste of Home's website HERE.

I did make a couple of changes.  Rather than chopping up the 12 sticky caramels I used a cup of Kraft's Caramel Bits.  They did tend to sink to the bottom and may not have been as ooey gooey as the original but as far as ease of preparation they are a winner in my book (and still ooey gooey).


It also called for only 1/2 cup of apple.  My big Granny Smith yielded a lot more than a 1/2 cup but I put the whole thing in anyway (well, what was left after the boys sampled some - still more than 1/2 cup left).  So, if you want to stick to the 1/2 cup use a small apple or plan to eat half your apple as a snack while baking!


They were quite yummy!  Now I should work on some of the other yummy looking recipes in my cookbook.


Cheers!

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Taste of Home magazines are the absolute BEST! Love them!