Thursday, July 8, 2010

Day 34 - Fondant = Play-doh for Adults

Ah - play-doh; that wonderful substance that keeps kids occupied for long stretches of time.  This week Clark has been in a play-doh mood.  Awhile back we had found a big bag of play-doh accessories at a garage sale and he wanted to dig in and use them today.  His brother just enjoyed watching and stacking the various containers.

The more I watched Clark play I realized that this is pretty much just like working with fondant.  Slightly less sticky and one isn't edible (well, at least it's not recommended for eating and the other I consider a poor frosting substitute also not really edible).  Really, you roll it out and cut it into lots of shapes or mold them by hand or using molds (see - you don't know if I mean play-doh or fondant here).  Clark wanted me to watch him cut out letters and play with him so I figured this would be a great way for me to practice some of the things I would like to do for my decorated cakes.


Look at that corn!  Yes, it is fondant.  I have been struggling with trying to figure out how to make realistic ears of corn for one of my cake ideas.  Ta da!  That was well worth practicing to see if it would work.  I did a few peas too just for fun.  


Next I decided to try doing some hand sculpting.  I was so happy when my husband came home and said, "Nice pig!"  Ha - he knew what it was (I'm no artist)!  Grant liked the pig too.  This is actually done out of play-doh.  I also sculpted a cardinal but didn't get any pictures.  (The things on his sides are where I was experimenting with spots - in case you thought my play-doh pig had some weird disease or something).


Alright - it's time to tint some fondant and get to work on cake decorations.  Picked up the new 2011 Wilton Yearbook last night and read it cover to cover.  I get so excited when the new ones come out.  What's great is I have always admired the beautiful tiered cakes but never have a reason to try them myself.  This is why I am so very excited to try the decorated cakes class for the first time this year!  Even if none of my cakes are displayed I'll have had lots of fun (after all the fair theme is Non-Stop Fun)!  Just like a kid playing with their play-doh!

No comments: