Thursday, September 23, 2010

Birthday Special Recipe Edition - Pumpkin Bars

Tomorrow is my birthday so I thought I would do something special for all of you!  When I used to work in offices or warehouses or well anywhere other than home - the birthday treats I would take were my pumpkin bars.  I've never found a pumpkin bar recipe to touch these (no, not trying to be cocky - just honest).  There have been times I haven't even eaten a bar I made because the pan has been emptied before I had a chance.

So, for my birthday I decided to whip up some of these fabulous bars (they are super easy)!  OK - moment of truth these are only 2nd best to my ultimate favorite birthday recipe - but I can't pull off number 1.  That would be my mom's chocolate fudge cake with glorious fudge frosting!  Oh man - it is the best cake ever!  Mom rocks!

Back to Pumpkin Bars:

Pan: 1 - 15 x 18 x 1" sheet pan
This recipe originally came out of a small recipe book grandma gave me when Alan and I were first married.  The original recipe was by Marsha Gordon in -A Collection; Favorite Recipes of the Cerro Gordo Medical Auxiliary.  I have made modifications to the recipe to make it more my own but credit is owed to Ms. Gordon for an excellent recipe!

Ingredients:
4       eggs
2 C   sugar
1 C   canola oil
16 oz pumpkin [1 (15.5 oz) can if using canned pumpkin - be sure it's canned pumpkin not pumpkin pie]
2 C   flour
1/2 t  salt
1 t     baking soda
2 t     baking powder
2 t     cinnamon
1/2 t   nutmeg (optional) - if you like your pumpkin bars with more spice add the nutmeg and cloves
1/4 t  cloves (optional)

Frosting Ingredients:
8 oz pkg  cream cheese
1/2 C       butter
1 t            vanilla
2 C          sifted powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Prepare pan - I spray with baking spray (with flour added in). In large metal or glass bowl; beat eggs gently.  Add sugar, oil and pumpkin.  Mix well and set aside.  In medium bowl sift together flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, & cinnamon.  Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix well. Pour into prepared pan.  Bake in oven for 20 - 30 minutes (until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean).

Allow pan to cool on wire rack.  Meanwhile - prepare frosting.  Allow cream cheese and butter to come to room temperature.  Beat cream cheese and butter together until smooth.  Add 1 cup sifted sugar and vanilla - beat until smooth.  Add 2nd cup of sifted sugar and beat until smooth.  It should be a nice creamy frosting.

Once bars are cool spread frosting on bars.  These are also cute decorated with little candy or frosting pumpkins.  If I'm really in the mood for being fancy I have piped pumpkins and swirling vines all across the top.



Here are some photos of my boys enjoying their treat at supper time!  They both helped mix and add ingredients so they get credit for baking today too!



 Love the photos of Grant shoveling the bar in the mouth.  The frosting eye brow only adds to the humor!



ENJOY!

Please note: I happily share my recipes with you but please use them only for your own personal use.  It is not just myself but often my family that has worked (for sometimes years) on these recipes and at the very least we would like credit for our creations.

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

No comments: