Thursday, October 21, 2010

Test Kitchen Thursday - Key Lime Spritz


Switching gears - turning from fall this week to thinking about Christmas Cookies!  Since it seems that November and December somehow fly right past I find the end of October/early November a good time to think about baking cookies.  There are LOTS of cookies (and fudge and even some candies) that freeze or store well.  These spritz cookies (due to high butter content) will store successfully in the freezer for 3 months (recommended time - but I have kept mine for up to 6 months+ and they still taste good).

Here is the recipe:


Key Lime Spritz Cookies

Yield: ~ 84 cookies                           

Ingredients:                                                               
1 C                  butter, softened
¾ C                 granulated sugar
¼ t                   baking powder
1                      egg
1 t                    finely shredded key lime peel (set aside)
2 t                    key lime juice (can use regular lime juice)
2 ½ C              all purpose flour

Icing:
¾ C                powdered sugar
1 ½ t               lime juice
2 – 3 t             milk (to make drizzling consistency)       

In a bowl beat butter for 30 seconds.  Add granulated sugar and baking powder.  Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl.  Beat in egg and juice until combined.  Beat in as much flour as you can.  Stir in any remaining flour and the lime peel.

Preheat oven to 400 degree F.  Place unchilled dough into cookie press fitted with template.  Force dough through the press, forming desired shapes, 1” apart, onto ungreased cookie sheets (parchment paper makes a world of difference).

Bake for 6 – 8 minutes or until edges are firm but not brown.  Transfer cookies to wire racks and let cool.

If desired, frost with lime icing; let stand 20 minutes or until set.  

Note: this is not one of my original recipes - it was either Taste of Home or BHG from the 2009 annual Christmas book that I get but I couldn't find the exact reference before posting - I will look it up and put in the proper credit.



If you plan to freeze them - don't frost them!  Frost them after you thaw them.  These little cookies don't last long around my house so I try to hide them in the freezer.

I remember spritz cookies fondly - grandma made them every year for Christmas (and other times of year too).  Grandma liked simple, fast cookies - make a batch, put on pan, bake, eat.  She also stored them in the freezer at her house to quickly pull out as needed.  I am actually not a fan of butter cookies but make an exception for Spritz (I don't think I would be considered truly German by my family if I didn't like Spritz cookies).

Hmmm - speaking of German recipes I need to think about my 2010 stollen recipe - it is supposed to "cure" for six weeks.  Great - now I need to go find a calendar - pencil in some stollen time . . .

Prost!

No comments: